May 1

I will be sad to leave the bright blue of April behind for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I hope to finish up my framed crumb stars today.  But I have also been working on the T quilt for Sunshine Online.

I got this far yesterday.

The prompts for sketchaday have been simpler stuff.

Present, which I dashed off in oil pastels on toned tan paper:
And neon, which would be great for digital art, but it was a struggle for me in wet media. I think I used a grease pencil for the resist, and then brush markers and a water brush.


Tomorrow's word is drop. So I just finished a small watercolor sketch.




I forced myself to finish a big watercolor, which I felt was turning out badly about halfway through. I think the colors are just too all over the place, and kind of murky. But I must have learned something along the way. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Test your colors, test your colors, and stick with the same shade of your primaries when you are blending secondary colors. Otherwise, it turns out in a very unsettling way.

Ha, looks like there is a printout of the olsen mask on the table there.  

In other details of pandemic life, I cut my bangs. Too short. I think I now have the same hair I had in third grade, only in a salt and pepper color instead of a uniform brown. 

After I finish the T quilt, I think I will embark on some smaller things for a while. Or maybe work on a UFO. I don't want to have to think too much or drag out too much fabric to choose from. In other words, I know my energy level is low, so I should not get too ambitious.

One of my friends is doing the Laundry Basket Mystery but it's big and too much for me. 
There are also smaller shops publishing MQs. I took a pass on the Quiltville Unity Quiltalong because it seemed too daunting as well.  Taking a look around, here are some other mystery quilt options.

But I think I need something really small. Or a few things really small.  So I think I will take a look at AllPeopleQuilt for ideas. Or just pick a block pattern and run with it.

Any additional ideas for small, low energy quarantine projects are greatly appreciated!

Comments

  1. You did the drop prompt justice. That painting is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! Painting has its good and bad days just like quilting. But there is always joy in the process.

      Delete
  2. The other day I heard someone say, "Quarantine hair, don't care!" which sounds like a good mantra right now. I'm also being drawn to fairly simple sewing. Some days, all I can do is make two-patches out of bright 2.5" squares. They were my leader/enders back in January and then they were all I could do for about a week. I just learned about the "Scrap Snap" blocks which look kinda fun: http://quiltsforthemaking.blogspot.com/2020/01/scrap-snap-quilt-along-block-assembly.html It's a quilt along, but I might just use it as a template for some RSC blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....good and bad days here. Do what we can. And dont force the energy. I will look at that scrapsnap link after I quilt the T quilt.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I only respond from my computer, and since I retired, I don't spend as much time at my desk, but I will get back to you!