Even though my oversized wall hanging only has 9 of the big purple/yellow/green/neutral blocks, it is very slow going in the quiltorium.
My challenges have included:
- Miscounting how many QSTs I needed.
- Thinking that I miscounted my HSTs, and making more only to realize I had some up on the design wall.
- Sewing for a while with no thread in the bobbin
- Orienting my purple four patches wrong during assembly
- The usual difficulty getting crisp points in blocks wiht HSTs, QSTs, and those dreaded Y-blocks. I am not loving the Y-blocks
To cope with these challenges and minimize disasters, I am doing the following:
- Checking and trimming every 3.5" unit before sewing
- Keeping a printout of the design handy at all times
- Pressing thoughtfully so seams nest
- Pinning the match points where points must meet
- Proceeding for the most part in sets of nine to assemble the five strips that I need to make each big block.
- Carefully laying all the pieces to be sewn in piles next to my machine so that everything is oriented properly.
- Walking away to do something else when I am too frustrated.
How's it going with your mystery quilt?