Scrappy new accessory

Been in a bit of a frazzle. On Thursday I noticed the screen on my phone was loose, and something was bulging under it. It had also been feeling warm when I using it. After googling around, I learned that the battery was ready to blow, so I needed a new phone pronto. It's a shame because I really loved that phone, an HTC M8. I took it to the local phone fixing franchise and the tech said because of the battery, which had been overheating enough to unglue the screen and expanding, it was probably wise to get a new one.

Down to TMobile store after that. Too lazy to switch carriers, and now they have a new cheap plan for people 55 and up.  Just got an LG K20 plus. It was easy to port over my settings, apps and data from the old phone. I spent most of Friday getting used to it. I like it so far, but need to get used to the camera.
My old phone case was a fold over wallet, not much protection, so I ordered a case with a big bumper that goes around the outside of the phone. These new screens that go out to the edge are just begging to take a hit.

In about an hour, I whipped up this little slipcase using scrap fabric, scrap batting, scrap bias binding and a button from my grandma's button tin. I may change that out if I can find a prettier one.  I can hook the pink strap from my old case onto the little blue tab at the upper left.

Used my bernina aurora to channel quilt the fabric, my trusty Singer 301 for the bias binding, and my Babylock Evolution serger to put it all together. 

These phones are so expensive and so powerful that I hate the fact that they are throwaways, don't you?  I fear that our cars and higher end sewing machines may be going the same route.  Too many bells and whistles mean too many things that can go wrong.



Comments