Let no scrap go uncherished!

I  concluded a FB message with a scrapaholic buddy of mine with this thought when we were discussing approaches to Clue 3 of On Ringo Lake. Even with the folded corner ruler, there is some waste of the precious coral fabrics.  I've devised a waste-free cutting approach that works for me. Just make a template of the coral piece in today's clue. Use that under a ruler or taped to your ruler. I don't want to give more details because it could reveal too much about the size of the pieces, and we have been asked not to do that because the mystery quilt will eventually be for sale. Seems like a fair request from someone who has given us more quilt patterns than we can every make in our lifetime!  Still don't know how some people are so productive. I must be lazy.

Anyway, back to musing about scraps. I did part of Clue 2 by drawing lines and trashing the bitty triangles I cut off.  After talking to my scrap buddy, she said she is using them for pineapple crazy blocks. I have yet to take the plunge on that one.

I rescued my waste triangles from my yet to be emptied quiltorium trash:


I think the white ones will work nicely for Wild and Goosey blocks.  I have 32 of those made.

Maybe if we are really really snowed in, and not just the starter snowstorm we are getting today, I can work on that.


Maybe after I finish Ringo Lake, I will devote some time to scrap reduction for a while. I am  going to run out of room soon.


I have some 3.5" and 4.5" crumb blocks and some crumb strips stashed away already. I was thinking of using them for centers of ohio star or churn dash blocks maybe. Any other suggestions would be welcome!

Do you save your scraps, or do you feel that life is too short and the list of quilts to be made is too long to waste time on those itty bits of leftovers.


Comments

  1. I save my scraps ..... and even use them! lol My current large project is has made a decent sized dent in the blues with over 100 different prints pulled for the project (still cut some from FQ's and yardage to get what I needed tho for the project).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I only respond from my computer, and since I retired, I don't spend as much time at my desk, but I will get back to you!