A totally useless activity

Having met another crazy cat loving quilt blogger via a linkup last month, I decided I would join her totally useless stitchalong, which is an activity that posts every new moon.  DaffyCat has so many of the same interests as I do!  Scrap quilting, embroidery, vintage sewing machines, and cats.  She was even kind enough to send me some helpful info when my beloved Singer 301 developed a clankety noise. That machine is on tap for a thorough cleaning and lube job tomorrow.

Although the totally useless stitchalong may seem like a frivolous bit of fun, it is an answer to the problem of measuring progress on long stitching projects, or when we have so many of them in motion that it seems like we are inching along imperceptibly on each of them. The solution is brilliant! Save and measure your waste, or ORTs as she calls them. Since I joined midmonth and had to remove most of the considerable waste that resulted from my Ringo Lake adventure, here is what my ORT trappers look like for the last part of this month.
A wastebasket topped off by the final trimmings from the  On Ringo Lake quilt after I prepped it for binding today.
A small pile of snippets from the binding dog ears and slivers that I hadn't cleaned off a cutting mat.

Looks like there is also some waste from La Passacaglia in there too.

And finally, this is maybe something I would call intermediate ingredients:

These are the usable scraps from On Ringo Lake. They will go into crumb blocks, mini four and nine patches, Wild and Goosey blocks or who knows what.

Speaking of On Ringo Lake, here is where I am with that. Hand stitching the binding down on the back side. I was lucky enough to find this lakeside fabric on ebay. It even has aqua canoes floating around on it.


It still might take a few days to finish.  Sorry La Passacaglia, this one will be the focus for my hand stitching time til it's done.

Comments

  1. Your ORTs are awesome! I love stitching binding. Wish I was that far along. I only have 4 of the blocks finished on ORL. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could send you my quilts to stitch down the binding on then.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I only respond from my computer, and since I retired, I don't spend as much time at my desk, but I will get back to you!