Best Supporting Rosette

I haven't watched the Oscars in years, but I thought that it would be a good title for the new rosette that I have almost finished.  It has to join up with that very bright large rosette I recently finished so I decided quieter colors and a touch of a cremey white would be a perfect change of pace.  So here is where i am with this unsung hero of the passacaglia journey. Pulled a little brown out of the center floral, then a grayish green. The purple is more violet than the photo shows, and it has little brush strokes of green here and there. Four more stars to go. We left our bee early to allow time for pre-snow storm grocery shopping before the after school crowd descends. The early afternoon shoppers were a more leisurely retiree crew -- and the store had already staffed all the registers for peak hours. 

I decided that my art efforts are being hindered by weak drawing skills so I paused the painting for a while and am trying to sketch more. My thirst for color requires me to use my large collection of colored pencils. I took boxes of old photos from my mom's house, and I have not scanned them for posterity (yet). The really old ones of my parents and grandparents are too precious to throw away, but the ones from my own youth are definitely slated for scan and discard.  Photos are a rich treasury of sketching source material.

Here is a picture of my mom that is so sweet, probably about 5 years old--1930 perhaps.  It has been a struggle to get the head and hands right. This is actually my second attempt. The first one had her looking more like a young teenager, so I made subtle adjustments to make the face more childlike. In both attempts, it really does look like my mom though! She was always such a beauty. I bet my grandma (who taught me to sew) made the sweet little knife pleated, caped dress in the photo. 

Drawing is so hard--it requires such scrutiny. We have fun at our informal senior class and help each other, sometimes it takes several pairs of eyes to figure out why a sketch needs refinement.


Comments