Pesky seam allowances

I am making some Daybreak blocks. I was scrupulous about the sizes of the four patches and four patches in a square then cut my aqua triangles.  Oh no! My first two blo ks were very short.  So i scooted my seam allowances out a bit and now have slightly smaller squares which is ok. I can just cut sashing to the same size and all will be ok. Bonnie even has a fudge factor note in the book.

I wish i had gotten a slightly brighter aqua though.  I will see how it looks with some sashing. I am going to go very light and bright whites for that...no dark tans. I will save the darker strings for Sandcastles blocks.

I had some earlier frogging to do begore i even got to that point though....i was annoyed that my four patches didnt form light and dark diagonals so more frogging was needed. These were the originals.

We had a wildlife first yesterday. After a lovely morning walk where we got to see many deer in the woods we came home to find visitors. A duck on the roof?

And another.

A bit of a courting dance happened and the she flew off with him in close pursuit. Perhaps they found a more private spot.

RSC2019 linkup

Comments

  1. Good luck with the rest of the blocks. I hope you work out the width of seam you need to end up with the right size unit. We've all been there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take comfort in the fact that bonnie implies there is difficulty with her text box in the pattern

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Frogging them really didnt take that much time.

      Delete
  3. I've been having seam allowance issues recently, too - takes a bit of figuring out! I really like your Daybreak blocks. And a duck on the roof would catch our attention, too - how funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daybreak is on my list, right after I finish Sand Castles. Or maybe before... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets all give ourselves permission to start new blocks whenever we feel like it. They don't all have to end up in a big quilt.

      Delete
  5. I'm surprised you were concerned about the lack of a diagonal, as Bonnie doesn't feature that in her blocks. Either way, it's going to be a really pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasnt that far along so i decided to standardize. But sometimes i have too much of a desire for symmetry and order.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I only respond from my computer, and since I retired, I don't spend as much time at my desk, but I will get back to you!