In the pink

The morning started off with the pleasant sight of two fawns following their mom through our back yard. Love this time of year for that reason. The heat and humidity not so endearing. It's been several weeks of hot, sticky, hazy weather with so many mosquitoes that I hate to be outdoors. I found a mosquito floating in my coffee cup after I had only had about half my first cup of the day. At least it didn't bite me first. I seem to be the mosquito magnet of the family.

Making good progress on my big rosette.

I actually finished the partial band that is shown in this photo and have about of a third of it sewn onto the star band.

On Friday, we had a bit of a morning jaunt out to the east end of Long Island to see Draken Harald Harfagre  while it was docked for  a few short days here. We took the deck tour and learned more about the boat and the crew's life on board. They have no below deck quarters and sleep in a tent on deck.  The sail assembly weighs about three tons!




They have a youtube channel if you would like to learn more about this fascinating boat and it's adventures to date. They hope to someday sail around the world. 

On the drive home, we stopped at the Tesla Science Center. No, it is not named after the car. It is named after Nikola Tesla, brilliant inventor who is often eclipsed undeservedly by Thomas Edison. His last remaining laboratory is in Shoreham, NY and they got it listed on the National Register of Historic Places recently. Not much to see at the site yet, as the gates were closed. But here is a photo of the Tesla statue that was donated by the Serbian government.  Double fenced to keep it safe. 

Nikola Tesla is a fascinating genius with a tragic life story and it's worth knowing how his inventions have changed our lives for the better. 

Finally, a few recent watercolors.


I still feel like my drawing skills are my downfall, and I need to free up my watercolor technique. But at least the fruit looks real in the top photo.

Comments

  1. That ship is really cool! No, we didn't see that anywhere because I would have definitely remembered that one. I'm the mosquito bait in my family, too, unfortunately. I've never had one drown in my coffee, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully the mosquitos left me alone this morning. Cooler weather makes them less vicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I only respond from my computer, and since I retired, I don't spend as much time at my desk, but I will get back to you!