Cranking Away in the Quiltorium

So after pin basting the grandniece's art work project for some light outline quilting in the borders, i decided to start on my VA nursing home donation.  I really liked the totally scrappy look that I saw on pinterest, which mixed the reds and blues within a block, but since I am donating this through the quilting group at the senior center (a group I don't belong to) I decided to rein it in a little and alternate red scrappy and blue scrappy blocks in a checkerboard. I am making 9.5" blocks in a 4 x 5 grid, which will be three inches short of their specified length, but I decided that's fine.

I cut 3.5 inch red and blue squares and the white center squares. I figured 2" squares with lines on the diagonal would work for the star points, but when I overlapped two squares on top of a red square, the overlap point for the lines would be larger than the 1/4" seam allowance. So I cut some 1 and 7/8" squares for my test block.

However, I forgot to consider that when doing this sew and flip method, I need to sew a coupla threads inward of the line.  My test blocks turned out close enough, because I scooted in the edges where the two white triangles overlap, when held against the base solid square. Hope that makes sense, it seems like a fudge factor that we all use. So here are my teste blocks. They are good enough to put in the final quilt.

Onward to cutting the remaining squares required for construction.  I was able to make good use of my accuquilt 3.5" and 2" square dies, and got everything cranked out fairly quickly.  The scrapsplosion has been put away, so the quiltorium is relatively tidy again. Too bad it's still too hot up here, especially with the iron on.

So, I am heading downstairs for a bit, where it stays cooler.

Things i like about this block so far:


  • It's accuquilt friendly
  • I was able to cut everything from existing stash!
  • It's very forgiving if your blocks come out too big. When you trim them, you are not eating up any triangle points. 
  • After making the star point pieces (which required pressing and cutting) I was able to assemble the rest of the block without any intermediate pressing--a big plus in what I hope are the last hot days of summer 2018.
  • It would also make a quick and easy baby quilt design.  
  • I suppose it would also work with 12" blocks and 2.5" squares to sew and flip the star points.
I would give credit to the designer, but it wasn't referenced in the pinterest photo that I found. Let me know if you can find an original link!

Comments