Clue 5 Linkup

It's a mystery Monday Linkup day, as well as a baking day here.

I have not been printing the clues, or even saving them so far. I tend not to want to make the same quilt twice, especially with so many patterns available.  But I really messed up my cutting for Clue 5 by not keeping the post pulled up on a phone or tablet. I thought that I read it and was good to go. and of course there was a work stoppage along the way to the finish line.



First, I cut the small triangles the wrong way, so that I ended up with a gazillion bonus triangles.  Had to recut everything. No excuse for this, because Bonnie always gives such great instructions. So I had to cut everything again after making and trimming those little HSTs. (Read on to see what I am doing with them)

The straight grain needs to go on the outer edge of the block for the next seams.  

A few days later, when I went to sew my small triangles to the big one, I noticed that the big one seemed really too big. You guessed it, I also cut those the wrong way. No prob, I thought, I can just throw the waste strips into the string bin and use them somewhere. But, I now have blocks with two edges that are on bias grain. I will have to sew them in carefully. If they go wonky I will just redo the whole clue. I am only doing half of this clue so it won't take that long.

Leftover bias red strings, to also be sewn on foundations CAREFULLY. Maybe with an even feed foot.


After finishing clue 5, I gathered all my Bonnie Books, and went searching for a pattern that would use up all the bonus triangles before they had a chance to be lost in the forgotten corners of the quiltorium.

I decided on Scrap Crystals. I have many more triangles to cut, but once the triangles are done, the quarters of each block come together quickly. I am not sewing these units together until I get ore variety, and probably fewer black and white prints to put in each block, since I feel they are distracting from that secondary pattern of lights around the center star. I will make nine of these into a wall hanging. NOTE: The camera is catching the deep purples as too blue even after editing.




Looks like we will have a wet cold Christmas here. January tends to be a snowier month for us.

I'll close by wishing you all  the blessings of Christmas, and a new year filled with great quilting adventures. May your bobbin last til the end of your stitching,  may your seams be accurate, and may your seam ripper be feeling lonely next year!  

Comments

  1. I'm thinking about doing Scrap Crystals for one of my RSC blocks next year. Yours looks great in purples! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it Louise! The pattern looks intricate but its very easy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I only respond from my computer, and since I retired, I don't spend as much time at my desk, but I will get back to you!