RSC2019 Saturday 6: Scrapcessories

I decided to switch gears today, after earning my keep with about 15 minutes of housework.

Dumped out the yellow scrap bin and made large-ish pieces of improv fabric.  Then I improvised some pieces for a couple of window pouches. Made one up completely, and will work on the other perhaps tomorrow.

I remembered I have a minor hoard of bias binding scraps as well as a large bunch of zippers, so I need to make more pouches, etc.

I fished out some yellow binding scraps. Not big enough for a quilt, but great for eyeglass cases and such.
So here are my pouch and a new eyeglass case. I always have to put my glasses down to read or sew up close, because the bottom part of my progressive lenses always seems off....on every pair I've owned, they are fine for a few weeks, then they seem too strong.

A sunny yellow slip case would keep them protected when I leave them on a desk or table, and the color will help me locate them when I am somewhat vision impaired without the glasses. (I do keep a pair of emergency glasses for finding my glasses in a designated spot). This case won't help me until the end of February and I put all these yellow scraps away though!

I had three machines in gear today. Stitching up the scraps on the 301, Stippling the fabric sandwiches on the Aurora, and even my long neglected serger was put to use to sew up the pouches. I put in the zipper with the serger too, but this was fiddly for me and on the next one I will just serge the raw edges (or bias bind them) and put the zipper in with a straight stitch. More improve pieces.




The funny thing is, I don't feel like I have used up much of my tub of yellow scraps.
It's like the Myth of Sisyphus in the quiltorium sometimes.....I guess I need to whip out more of those yellow 4.5" string blocks to make a bigger dent in the strings. I know you are wondering what color I will pair with them. Maybe it will be our color for next month, so I can dive right into that.

Hey, I finished a quilt yesterday, so please take a peek at that post while you are here.

Time to link up!

EVENING UPDATE: made 6 more string blocks.


Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I only respond from my computer, and since I retired, I don't spend as much time at my desk, but I will get back to you!