Show me your scraps

When I complained about my overflowing string box to an online friend, she asked, "Is that all you have?"  I explained that I store them in many different places, somewhat like a chipmunk hiding food caches for the winter.

My string box that provoked the question is now a bit less stuffed. It is on the table by my Bernina Aurora, where I have been making the big string blocks for Covered in Love.
It is not my only string cache.

There are neutral strings in a big flat box.
And there is this tower of sorted strings that I started years ago. Big mistake, as these strings are a bit dusty and provoke some sneezing when in use.

 And some color themed strings strewn by the Singer 301.



Next we have the crumbs. They get tossed in a big hamper bin. I have to say that the level on this bin has gone down noticeably because I am grabbing handfuls now and then to cut into usable sized squares.Or, thanks to RSC2019, making some improv blocks. The madeleins box you see peeking out is not my emergency cookie stash. I ate the cookies long ago and store partially pieced crumb blocks there.


There is a bulging plastic shoebox of selvedges.

 I actually made one project from these!


And the pretzel barrel of yellows for this month.

Now on to special purpose crumbs. I started making those fiddly paper pieced wild and goosey blocks from Bonnie Hunter, so I started saving triangular crumbs for those blocks. Got a plastic shoebox full of those at this point. I think I should stop saving them for a while until production of these blocks starts again.

I think that's all of it, but there may be a stray ziplock or two somewhere that I thought needed to be segregated by color or shape. I can't be sure.

I made a small wild and goosey table mat that I keep by my blue chair.

And I do have some more of them in progress, but taking a vacation in a dark tin on a shelf. I think I used to sew them on Sunday afternoons when I was working. I could only get about four of these done in an hour.




Of course there are my bins and drawers of precut strips and squares for the Scrap User's system. I don't count those with these leftover kind of scraps.

I don't think I can get through all of these even if I start sewing in my sleep. But I figure with this relatively small stash of bitty things and a featherweight, I can be happy and productive if my kids ship me off to assisted living sometime down the road.

So does anyone else want to come clean and show me your scrap stash? 

Comments