Recapping

I have been social distancing for 48 days. Or 49 if I count today. I went into isolation mode, bugging out of my normal weekly group activities about a week before we went into 15 days to slow the spread, or NY on Pause, or whatever set of guidelines dropped on us first. As time goes on, I am missing the group stuff less and less, except for my watercolor class. We got cancelled after two out of the 8 spring classes when the school system shut down.

I am loving wearing my old comfy house clothes,and not wearing makeup.  The positives of this lockdown are a renewed appreciation of living simply, and cherishing time with those you share a home with, if you are so blessed to have family with you.  When we bought this house many years ago, I thought it would be a great place to telecommute from. After a few years, I managed to land a job that had me dividing my time between travel to clients and working at home. Sometimes I worked at home for weeks at a time.

The whole shopping thing? Not a big change for me because I typically shop just after dawn, unless it's really cold out.  I am just not into crowds.

All that being true, I am not sure if I have been using the time well enough, and I am ramping up my productivity.  The whole thing is very scary here in NYC area, and I did have some major anxiety issues for a while, but that's subsided. Easter was strange, and by now we would have been going into the city at least once a month to see our son.

I haven't done any real spring cleaning, and its still too cool to garden. I am spending way too much time consuming news and information, and it's mostly bad news.

So it's Sunday, the start of a new week. I am going to try to blog more, and sew more, and paint more.  I know those are vague goals, but it's best not to raise the bar too high at times like these!

I skipped the early quilt along activities that some designers were so generous to share.  There are tons of online group things going on. It's odd that I have no desire to dive in and connect. I will continue to just do my own thing and just try to do some happy sewing every day.  Yesterday, I worked on T blocks for the Sunshine online Quilt Guild, and I have a denim project I want to finish today. I will write about that tomorrow.

I am caught up on sketches for the next few days, so I can work on a larger watercolor that I started last week.

Comments

  1. This post prompted me to calculate my own time in self-isolation: 6 weeks minus 1 day. Like you, I haven't been much called by the public quilt alongs and such. I did the Elvira quilt with some of the Sunshine folks, and am making a T quilt for them, too. Our life was already pretty separate from the "real world," so the changes are subtle. But there are changes and I see it in reduced motivation and productivity. I'd like to have some updates on my blog, but I don't want to actually do the writing, so not quite sure how that will happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are chafing at forced isolation in close quarters. We had a domestic abuse stabbing in the next town yesterday. You probably have some useful tips for surviving in a small space in isolation. I am fortunate that our house is large and we have space to go off and do our own things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I only respond from my computer, and since I retired, I don't spend as much time at my desk, but I will get back to you!