A new obsession

But first, some obligatory black themed blocks for RSC2019. These will add some pop to my collection of Tumalo Trail blocks.

Here's the thing. It's been a cold and damp October so far. Kind of dreary and we haven't hit peak color hereabouts yet.  So I don't really want to work on dark colors very much. So I reluctantly put away my purple project from September and tidied up a bit. Then I was itching to try something mindless and fast so I started some Crooked Courthouse Steps blocks.

Kind of like life, these blocks. Always a bit of this and that comes your way but in general it all works out fine. Learn to back away from pursuing perfection. My only problems thus far are giving the blocks too much of a wonky lean. This made me lose a few seam allowances in the last round. This has happened to me with other string blocks and I can live with a few bulky seams.

I think things through after measuring the next to last round, and it works out a little better. Live and learn. I am doing the same size Bonnie did in her tutorial.  Let the expert do my thinking for me.....

But I did have one block that just wouldn't trim up right after the last round, or partial round so I hacked back two rounds and will fill it out with the next batch. 



I am pressing and squaring up with a rotary cutter after each light or dark pair is sewn on. It forces me to get up and down from my chair and move around.

This project does make a super string scrapsplosion, so clear the decks before you get started.

Try them.....bet you can't make just one.......



Comments

  1. Your Tumelo Trail blocks are wonderful! I saw Bonnie's tutorial for those scrappy Courthouse Steps. Must NOT start another project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh give it a try. What's one more project? Bet you can't make just one....

      Delete
  2. I love your crooked courthouse steps blocks, and your philosophy! All the bits and pieces of life come together, just like a good scrap quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have sort of put off dark and dreary RSC blocks, too, for the same reason.
    And aren't those Crooked Courthouse Steps looking tempting?!? Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am using black strings here and there so I am not on total rebellion!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I only respond from my computer, and since I retired, I don't spend as much time at my desk, but I will get back to you!